Notes and Reflections from our Thursday Night Sing

A group of women come together to sing each Thursday night at the Freight & Salvage in Berkeley, California. These are our notes and reflections.

Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Year of Singing in Community

Happy New Year, Ladies.

Last year my life was filled with loss and grief, and one of the things that helped me most was singing. So, as I set an intention for our next singing circle session, I'd like to offer as many ways as I can to give each of you the confidence and inspiration to bring music into your own community. We live in a world filled with media, with easy ways to listen passively to music, or to sing along to a recording, but we need more circles of singing. Even as a professional musician I question my place to step up with a song, and yet, each time I find the courage to share a song, it is always met with appreciation and thanks.
Here's the song I'm sharing today, and I'm asking each of us to share a song with someone. It might be a child, a friend, or a stranger. It doesn't need to be sung perfectly, it just needs to be shared with an open, joyful heart.
It was wonderful to hear about members of our singing circle leading songs in their own communities over the holidays. May we sing more & often!!!



Much Love,
Tamsen

1 comment:

  1. I would love to join the circle again - but I think I'll have to wait until spring. Keep me on your email list though.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete